Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Cooper's Birth Story

I guess since my son is officially one month old today I should write his birth story before I forget any of the dramatic details.. And believe me it was full of those.

If you've been following along you know that it's pretty amazing we made it to 39 weeks.

I starting having preterm labor around 26 weeks & was in and out of the hospital the rest of my pregnancy.

On March 2, I was supposed to go I to the hospital at 8:00 pm and all was set for me to be induced the following morning. But my sweet little boy had a mind of his own! Looking back I should have known something was up when I got up that morning full of energy at 6:30... I made my parents (who had drove down the day before) breakfast. I cooked a ton of food & I even cleaned the kitchen.. Something I always try to pawn off on someone else. My mom & I ran some last minute errands & got everything ready for Cooper to arrive. 

My grandparents were supposed to arrive at our house around 5:30 from Arkansas & my mom suggested I lay down & get some rest before I head into the hospital. I had been having back pain all day but didn't think too much of it considering I had had it a lot during my pregnancy. As I was trying to nap the pain got so bad I could barely stand it. My mom got an ice pack for my back as well as rubbed it off an on. But nothing really worked. 

My grandparents finally arrived & we all left to go have dinner at one of our favorite restaurants in town, The Dairy Bar. We had just gotten a table and placed our order & I was having the most painful contractions. I could barely talk or even sit for that matter. 

My family kept asking if I wanted to go into the hospital early but since I had been so frequently I felt like I should just wait. The contractions ended up getting so bad I had the waitress put my food in a to go box & I left immediately. 

My husband, mom & I arrived at the hospital around 7:15 & checked in. I could barely sit still while they wheeled me up to labor & delivery. They asked me to change clothes & get in a gown. 

I was hooked up to the moniters & asked the standard questions.. Medical history.. So on & so forth. They came in & checked me & of course I still hadn't dilated past 4 1/2 cm, & I had been there for about 5 weeks. Go figure. I literally felt like that baby was never going to come out. 

Fast forward about 30 mins.. I kept having the worst contractions. I wouldn't let my husband leave my side. I was bawling. Wouldn't let anyone touch me. And overall hot mess. I was in true full blown labor. 

After much debate, several screams & a bucket of tears later, we decided to go against my birth plan & get an epidural. 

My dad & grandparents, who had arrived somewhere in my midst of pure agony, were asked to leave the room while it the epidural was administered. 

I cried & screamed & felt like I shouldn't even get it after I heard all of the side affects. I just knew I was going to be leaving the hospital paralyzed or something.. I was going crazy. Somehow.. With the help of God, all his angels & my husband I was given the epidural. & was relaxed for 15 minutes when I was checked again. 

This time I was at 9 cm. My parents  & grandparents were back in the room & I was screaming again. At the end of a contraction I asked my dad to buy me a pair of shoes, as a push present. Of course he said yes anything to distract me even for a second. 

I was finally having some relief so I asked my husband to run to the car. Of course we forgot the camera. As soon as he walked out to get it the midwife walked in & said it was time to push. I told her no way not until Mr. Army Man was back in the room. 

A few minutes later he was back & I pushed. And I pushed and I pushed and I pushed and I pushed.. And I pushed for 48 minutes until my sweet little boy arrived and peed all over the midwife as soon as he came out. 

We were immediately united & he kept touching my face. I cried while he kept caressing my face. I was a mom. It was the most beautiful moment I've ever experienced. & my love for him grew so big in that one precious moment. He would always be my little boy. We spent the next 10 minutes or so, awed by that precious boy. My husband cut his cord and I snuggled my baby once more. 

I was exhausted beyond belief but that small little boy was everything I had ever wanted and better than I could even imagine. Cooper Harrison Neal had finally arrived & stole my heart forever. 

A little while later after he was cleaned up & passed around for everyone to see. After I finally ate my dinner from the restaurant & a huge peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich. I fed my baby for the first time. 

Breastfeeding your child is like nothing I've ever experienced before. It's a bond I'll never share with anyone else. (Unless I have another baby.) You are all that baby needs. I can calm him with a single touch. It's pretty magical. 

We were later moved into our room where we would stay the next two days before being released on Tuesday. Those few days were exhausting.. Becoming new first time parents, learning about our new son, my "new" body & adjusting. 

Everything was a whirlwind of exciting little moments that I will remember forever. It is such a sweet blessing having a child & it as if he has been with us forever. I can't wait for what is all ahead & to document it all here.

Check back tomorrow to see what else happened this first month of Coop's life. Believe me it's been pretty crazy! 


  1. Precious boy! I am so happy for you. :)

    1. Wonderful Story! He is perfect! Can't wait to see him again! Love you!

  2. Tears...the good kind. I'm so proud of you! You are already an awesome little momma! I love you my ladybug!

  3. Aww! Such a great story! I am being induced next Tuesday, and beyond ready to meet my little girl! I got teary eyed reading this! :)

  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.


Love hearing from y'all! Thanks for reading!